Duel in the Pool: OP Native to Race Lance Armstrong | News
BUFFALO, NY - Orchard Park native Mary Eggers has enjoyed a wave of success as a tri-athlete, coach, nurse, yoga teacher, wife, and mom.
Now she has added another thing to her list: racing Lance Armstrong.
Forget the bikes though, Eggers is challenging the seven-time Tour de France winner to a kickboard race at UB this weekend.
When Eggers found out Armstrong was coming to Buffalo this weekend for the UB Speaker Series, she thought it would be a great opportunity to use her talent for something other than a trophy.
Eggers, thinking nothing would ever come out of it, tweeted Armstrong and challenged him to a race.
Within hours she had a wave of support. Within days she had thousands of dollars, which will benefit Western New York teens battling cancer.
A portion of the money raised will go toward Armstrong's Livestrong Foundation, but much of it will be used to bring the Teens Living with Cancer program to Buffalo. It's a peer support program that is part of Melissa's Living Legacy, a non-profit started by a Rochester area mom following her daughter's death.
The race is being dubbed Duel in the Pool: Armstrong vs. Eggers. The invitation only event will take place Saturday afternoon at UB.
Click HERE to donate.
Upcoming Events near Orchard Park
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- NYC-BASED VENTURE CAPITALIST AND BLOGGER FRED WILSON TO SPEAK AT LARKIN SQUARE ON AUG. 5
- Check Out The Erie County Fair Admission Discounts
- Whirlpool-Rapids Bridge Inspection Lane Construction to Result in Canada-Bound Traffic Closure
- Buffalo River Fest Park Hosts 3rd Annual “Wardstock”
- New Tifft Street Pier and Boardwalk opens to public