East Aurora Board Approves Joint SWAT Plan | News
EAST AURORA, N.Y. -- East Aurora's Village Board is giving the thumbs up to a proposal to form a joint SWAT Team with the police department in Orchard Park.
The vote was unanimous and the new SWAT officers for East Aurora would be funded by a state grant.
Police chiefs in both communities say there's a need for these highly trained law enforcement officers where they live. But neighbors we spoke with last week questioned the need in small towns and villages.
"You look at the past few years and a number of incidents and by the way, an number of those incidents were in small towns, populations under 40,000 people. It wasn't necessarily the bigger cities when it came to active shooter incidents and the like like that," said East Aurora Police Chief Ronald Krowka.
Lawmakers in Orchard Park must also approve the proposal.
Their vote is scheduled for Wednesday night.
Upcoming Events near Orchard Park
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Check Out The Erie County Fair Admission Discounts
- Whirlpool-Rapids Bridge Inspection Lane Construction to Result in Canada-Bound Traffic Closure
- Buffalo River Fest Park Hosts 3rd Annual “Wardstock”
- New Tifft Street Pier and Boardwalk opens to public
- World-renowned AIDS researcher among victims of downed Malaysian flight